The historical significance of the street, Celetna, is that it is one of the most beautiful and oldest streets in the Old Town. Furthermore, the street was also a part of the trade route leading from the town of Kutná Hora, which was the silver treasury of the Czech Kingdom. At the end of this trade route, the Prague Mint was located just on the corner of Celetna Street and the Fruit Market Square (16th -18th century). The Celetna Street was also a significant part of the so-called, “Royal Route.” The “Royal Route” was a royal procession that started from the Powder Gate, then went along to Celetna Street, then through the Old Town Square and then across the Charles Bridge to end at the Prague Castle, where the coronation ceremony took place in the Saint Vitus Cathedral.
Celetna Street was the main street of the Old Town and thus, today we can admire the magnificent Gothic houses with foundations of mostly Romanic origin, and with today’s appearance it is mostly in the Renaissance and Baroque style. For example, on the houses we can admire beautiful house signs; House at the White Peacock, House at the Red Eagle or House at the Golden Angel, which served as a luxury hotel.
In the year 1848, a famous philosopher and mathematician, and also the student of Leibnitz, Bernard Bolzano, died in the house number 25 on Celetna Street. His lectures were very popular amongst Prague university students but outraged those among the conservative academic community.
The street name probably comes from local bakers-caletníků, who knitted and baked bread, which was called Calty.