The fire of the Lesser Town that has been mentioned a few times before occurred on June 2nd 1541. The Sternberg house stands upon the ruins of the house where the fire started. The palace was ordered by Francis Damian von Sternberg and it was designed by the architect, Giovanni Batista Alliprandi and it was built in years 1703-1719. The painting of the Coronation of the Virgin Mary, together with the Symbol of the Sternberg coated in the Golden Fleece, were preserved on the façade of the palace. The Sternbergs were among the enlightened aristocracy, who supported science and art. The Private Society of Sciences was the first institution of its kind and it was established in their palace. The beautiful Baroque palace now serves as one of the parliament buildings.